Serum concentrations of Thymidine kinase 1 measured using a novel antibody-based assay in patients with Hodgkin Lymphoma
Background: Thymidine kinase 1 (TK1) is an intracellular protein associated with DNA synthesis, expressed during the G1 phase and remained elevated through the M phase, with a potential as a biomarker for cell proliferation. In this study, we explore the possible use of TK1 in Hodgkin lymphoma (HL).
Methods: Serum concentrations of TK1 (S-TK1) were measured in 46 newly diagnosed HL patients using prospectively collected biobanked serum samples. The samples were analyzed using a novel antibody-based TK1 immunosorbent assay (ELISA).
Results: The concentrations of S-TK1 were elevated in HL patients compared with healthy controls (median 0.32 μg/L vs. 0.24 μg/L, P = 0.003). A further increase in S-TK1 was observed during the treatment. The S-TK1 concentrations were higher in patients with advanced stage disease, low B-Hb, elevated P-LD and in those with B-symptoms. A high ESR correlated with low S-TK1.
Conclusions: The study results suggest that S-TK1, measured using a novel antibody-based assay, has the potential to be a biomarker in HL. However, while S-TK1 levels are elevated at baseline compared with healthy controls, a limited number of patients and comparatively short follow-up time render reliable conclusions difficult.
- Aufderklamm S, Todenhöfer T, Gakis G, Kruck S, Hennenlotter J, Stenzl A, et al. Thymidine kinase and cancer monitoring. Cancer Lett 2012;316:6–10. doi: 10.1016/j.canlet.2011.10.025
- Munch-Petersen B. Enzymatic regulation of cytosolic thymidine kinase 1 and mitochondrial thymidine kinase 2: a mini review. Nucleos Nucleot Nucleic Acids 2010;29:363–9. doi: 10.1080/15257771003729591
- Eriksson B, Hagberg H, Glimelius B, Sundström C, Gronowitz S, Källander C. Serum thymidine kinase as a prognostic marker in hodgkin’s disease. Acta Radiol: Oncol 1985;24:167–71. doi: 10.3109/02841868509134381
- Kumar JK, Holmgren S, Levedahl KH, Hoglund M, Venge P, Eriksson S. Arocell tk 210 elisa for determination of tk1 protein: age-related reference ranges and comparison with other tk1 assays. Biotechniques 2020;68:335–41. doi: 10.2144/btn-2019-0148
- Glimelius B, Melin B, Enblad G, Alafuzoff I, Beskow A, Ahlström H, et al. U-can: a prospective longitudinal collection of biomaterials and clinical information from adult cancer patients in sweden. Acta Oncol 2018;57:187–94. doi: 10.1080/0284186X.2017.1337926
- Jagarlamudi KK, Shaw M. Thymidine kinase 1 as a tumor biomarker: technical advances offer new potential to an old biomarker. Biomark Med 2018;12:1035–48. doi: 10.2217/bmm-2018-0157
- Biggi A, Gallamini A, Chauvie S, Hutchings M, Kostakoglu L, Gregianin M, et al. International validation study for interim pet in abvd-treated, advanced-stage hodgkin lymphoma: interpretation criteria and concordance rate among reviewers. J Nucl Med 2013;54:683–90. doi: 10.2967/jnumed.112.110890
- Carbone PP, Kaplan HS, Musshoff K, Smithers DW, Tubiana M. Report of the committee on hodgkin’s disease staging classification. Cancer Res 1971;31:1860–1.
- Hagberg H, Siegbahn A. Prognostic value of serum lactic dehydrogenase in non-hodgkin’s lymphoma. Scand J Haematol 1983;31:49–56. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0609.1983.tb02136.x
- Project IN-HsLPF. A predictive model for aggressive non-hodgkin’s lymphoma. N Engl J Med 1993;329:987–94. doi: 10.1056/NEJM199309303291402
- García R, Hernández JM, Caballero MD, González M, Galende J, del Cañizo MC, et al. Serum lactate dehydrogenase level as a prognostic factor in hodgkin’s disease. Br J Cancer 1993;68:1227–31. doi: 10.1038/bjc.1993.509
- Hasenclever D, Diehl V. A prognostic score for advanced hodgkin’s disease. International prognostic factors project on advanced hodgkin’s disease. N Engl J Med 1998;339:1506–14. doi: 10.1056/NEJM199811193392104
- Rigacci L, Puccini B, Zinzani PL, Biggi A, Castagnoli A, Merli F, et al. The prognostic value of positron emission tomography performed after two courses (interim-pet) of standard therapy on treatment outcome in early stage hodgkin lymphoma: a multicentric study by the fondazione italiana linfomi (fil). Am J Hematol 2015;90:499–503. doi: 10.1002/ajh.23994
- Jagarlamudi KK, Wang L, Eriksson S. Doxorubicin effects on leukemia and breast cancer cells in culture on the tk1 protein levels using arocell tk 210 elisa: a tool for drug development. Nucleos Nucleot Nucleic Acids 2018;37:679–86. doi: 10.1080/15257770.2018.1478094
- Konoplev SN, Fritsche HA, O’Brien S, Wierda WG, Keating MJ, Gornet TG, et al. High serum thymidine kinase 1 level predicts poorer survival in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Am J Clin Pathol 2010;134:472–7. doi: 10.1309/AJCPHMYT93HUIZKW
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright of their work, with first publication rights granted to Upsala Mecical Society. Read the full Copyright- and Licensing Statement.