The impact of splenectomy on human lipid metabolism
Background: Splenectomy impacts hematological, immunological, and metabolic functions of the patient. Since our understanding of its metabolic effects, in particular effects on lipid metabolism, is limited, this study aims to investigate the effects of splenectomy on lipid metabolism.
Methods: The data from 316 patients undergoing splenectomy between 2009 and 2019 were retrospectively analyzed. Thirty-eight patients whose serum lipid values were measured both preoperatively and 1 year after surgery were included in this study.
Results: Significantly higher levels of total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL), and non-high-density lipoprotein (HDL) lipid profile were found in the postsplenectomy measurements. However, no significant differences were recorded in levels of triglyceride, HDL, or very-LDL.
Conclusion: We determined that splenectomy does impact lipid metabolism, and that the metabolic effects of splenectomy should further be investigated.
- Traub A, Giebink S, Smith C, Kuni CC, Brekke ML, Edlund D. Splenic reticuloendothelial function after splenectomy, spleen repair, and spleen autotransplantation. N Engl J Med 1987; 317: 1559–64. doi: 10.1056/NEJM198712173172503
- Belli AK, Özcan Ö, Elibol FD, Yazkan C, Dönmez C, Acar E. Splenectomy proportions are still high in low-grade traumatic splenic injury. Turk J Surg 2018; 34: 106. doi: 10.5152/turkjsurg.2018.3735
- Bisharat N, Omari H, Lavi I, Raz R. Risk of infection and death among post-splenectomy patients. J Infect 2001; 43: 182–6. doi: 10.1053/jinf.2001.0904
- Sarangi J, Coleby M, Trivella M, Reilly S. Prevention of post splenectomy sepsis: a population based approach. J Public Health 1997; 19: 208–12. doi: 10.1093/oxfordjournals.pubmed.a024611
- Lee DH, Barmparas G, Fierro N, Sun BJ, Ashrafian S, Li T. Splenectomy is associated with a higher risk for venous thromboembolism: a prospective cohort study. Int J Surg 2015; 24: 27–32. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2015.10.011
- Palkar AV, Agrawal A, Verma S, Iftikhar A, Miller EJ, Talwar A. Post splenectomy related pulmonary hypertension. World J Respirol 2015; 5: 69. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2015.10.011
- Schmidt HH, Wagner S, Manns M. The spleen as a storage pool in lipid metabolism. Am J Gastroenterol 1997; 92: 1072.
- Sit M, Yilmaz EE, Tosun M, Aktas G. Effects of N-acetyl cysteine on lipid levels and on leukocyte and platelet count in rats after splenectomy. Niger J Clin Pract 2014; 17: 343–5. doi: 10.4103/1119-3077.130237
- Caligiuri G, Nicoletti A, Poirier B, Hansson GK. Protective immunity against atherosclerosis carried by B cells of hypercholesterolemic mice. J Clin Invest 2002; 109: 745–53. doi: 10.1172/JCI7272
- Robinette CD, Fraumeni Jr J. Splenectomy and subsequent mortality in veterans of the 1939–45 war. Lancet 1977; 310: 127–9. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(77)90132-5
- Ai X-M, Ho L-C, Han L-L, Lu J-J, Yue X, Yang N-Y. The role of splenectomy in lipid metabolism and atherosclerosis (AS). Lipids Health Dis 2018; 17: 1–8. doi: 10.1186/s12944-018-0841-2
- Akan AA, Şengül N, Şimşek Ş, Demirer S. The effects of splenectomy and splenic autotransplantation on plasma lipid levels. J Invest Surg 2008; 21: 369–72. doi: 10.1080/08941930802438898
- Hoekstra M, Out R, Kruijt JK, Van Eck M, Van Berkel TJ. Diet induced regulation of genes involved in cholesterol metabolism in rat liver parenchymal and Kupffer cells. J Hepatol 2005; 42: 400–7. doi: 10.1016/j.jhep.2004.11.032
- Mayes PA. Lipid transport and storage, in edit Murray RK. Harper’s Biochem Am J Med 1996; 25: 254–70.
- Dragomir M, Petrescu DGE, Manga GE, Călin GA, Vasilescu C. Patients after splenectomy: old risks and new perspectives. Chir Buchar Rom 2016; 111: 393–9. doi: 10.21614/chirurgia.111.5.393
- Association AD. Dyslipidemia management in adults with diabetes. Diabetes Care 2004; 27: 68–71. doi: 10.2337/diacare.27.2007.S68
- King JH. Studies in the pathology of the spleen. Arch Intern Med 1914; 14: 145–67. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archinte.1914.00070140002001
- Asai K, Kuzuya M, Naito M, Funaki C, Kuzuya F. Effects of splenectomy on serum lipids and experimental atherosclerosis. Angiology 1988; 39: 497–504. doi: 10.1177/000331978803900602
- Petroianu A, Veloso DFM, Costa GR, Alberti LR. Effects of splenic surgeries on lipidogram of rats. Rev Assoc Méd Bras 2006; 52: 56–9. doi: 10.1590/S0104-42302006000100024
- Aviram M, Brook JG, Tatarsky I, Levy Y, Carter A. Increased low-density lipoprotein levels after splenectomy: a role for the spleen in cholesterol metabolism in myeloproliferative disorders. Am J Med Sci 1986; 291: 25–8. doi: 10.1097/00000441-198601000-00006
- Fatouros M, Bourantas K, Bairaktari E, Elisaf M, Tsolas O, Cassioumis D. Role of the spleen in lipid metabolism. J Br Surg 1995; 82: 1675–7. doi: 10.1002/bjs.1800821230
- Altinel Y, Kose E, Karacaglar A, Demirgan S, Sozer V, Ozkaya G. Systemic amelioration via Curcumin in rats following splenectomy: lipid profile, endothelial and oxidative damage. J Invest Surg 2020; 20: 1–10. doi: 10.1080/08941939.2020.1834651
- Rezende AB, Nunes SI, Farias RE, Vieira FR, Petroianu A, Teixeira HC. Influência do baço, da asplenia e do implante esplênico autógeno no metabolismo lipídico de camundongos. Rev Colégio Bras Cir 2007; 34: 177–82. doi: 10.1590/S0100-69912007000300008
- Lammers B, Zhao Y, Foks AC, Hildebrand RB, Kuiper J, Van Berkel TJ. Leukocyte ABCA1 remains atheroprotective in splenectomized LDL receptor knockout mice. PLoS One 2012; 7: e48080. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0048080
- Li Y, Stone JR. The impact of splenectomy on human coronary artery atherosclerosis and vascular macrophage distribution. Cardiovasc Pathol 2016; 25: 453–60. doi: 10.1016/j.carpath.2016.08.001
- Demuner BL, Pinho GZ, Thomaz JC, Stegmiller NP, Mendes RMDA, Paulo MSL. Effect of total splenectomy in the lipid profile in mice. Acta Cir Bras 2015; 30: 306–12. doi: 10.1590/S0102-865020150050000001
- Zhang Y, An X, Lin Q, Bai J, Wang F, Liao J. Splenectomy had no significant impact on lipid metabolism and atherogenesis in Apoe deficient mice fed on a severe atherogenic diet. Cardiovasc Pathol 2018; 36: 35–41. doi: 10.1016/j.carpath.2018.06.002
- Lemos-Paulo IC, Salomao PDN, Lazaro-da-Silva A, Foletto RM, Colnago GL, Vargas PM. Plasmatic lipids levels in rats after total splenectomy, simultaneous ligature of the splenic vessels, and subtotal splenectomy with inferior pole preservation. Rev Col Bras Cir 2005; 5: 229–36.
- Kristinsson SY, Gridley G, Hoover RN, Check D, Landgren O. Long-term risks after splenectomy among 8,149 cancer-free American veterans: a cohort study with up to 27 years follow-up. Haematologica 2014; 99: 392–8. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2013.092460
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright of their work, with first publication rights granted to Upsala Medical Society. Read the full Copyright- and Licensing Statement.